Thank you for using Poe! We are building a platform that lets people ask questions, get instant answers, and have back-and-forth conversations with AI. Below is a list of frequently asked questions:
What are the differences between the bots?
- At present,
- Claude-instant tends to be better at many creative writing tasks and tends to give longer and more in-depth answers. Compared to the previously available Claude, Claude-instant is faster and significantly better at non-English languages.
- Claude-2–100k is significantly better than Claude-instant at complex and difficult tasks. It can handle inputs as long as 100k tokens (about 75,000 words). Similar to Claude-Instant, it is particularly strong at creative writing and providing detailed responses.
- Assistant and ChatGPT tend to be better at languages other than English, and are better at programming-related tasks.
- GPT-4 is a major advance relative to ChatGPT and is the most powerful language model available to the world today. It is particularly strong at creative writing, problem solving (e.g. math and physics), and instruction following.
- Each bot has a distinct personality that you can get to know over time, so if you’re interested, you can try them all and decide which you like best for yourself.
How do the bots work?
- The bots on Poe are powered by third party companies that use large language models (LLMs). LLMs are machine learning systems that have been trained on vast quantities of text data in order to process and generate text.
What can I use the bots to do?
- You can use the bots for learning, writing help, translation, programming help, summarization, entertainment, or many other things. We encourage you to explore and discover what Poe is most helpful for.
Should I trust what the bots say?
- The bots are usually correct, but may make incorrect statements, so if you are making an important decision based on information from a bot, you will want to verify the information elsewhere. The bots also should not be solely relied upon for medical, legal or investing advice – please consult a professional. And the bots may not have knowledge of current events, so some information may be out of date. We expect all of these issues to improve considerably over the next six months as AI research continues.
Can other people using Poe see my conversations with the bots?
- No. Conversations with bots are private and are not visible to other users of Poe. If you tap the Share button, you will be prompted to choose any messages you want to share with others, and the messages you select will then be copied to a new share object, which will be visible to whoever you share it with. If you choose “Share on Poe” as part of the share flow, the messages you have chosen to share will be copied to a post that will be visible to other Poe users. You can see all of your posts on Poe on your profile, which you can access via the left side menu (accessible from the button in the top left of the screen in the bot conversation view). You can delete any of your posts from the “...” menu, accessible in the top right of the post view.
Which company’s technology is behind the bots?
- You can tap on the name of each bot at the top of the chat view to learn more about it.
- Assistant, GPT-4, and ChatGPT are powered by OpenAI. Use of these bots is subject to OpenAI’s policies, which are available here. Assistant and ChatGPT use the
- Claude-instant and Claude-2 are powered by Anthropic. Use of these bots is subject to Anthropic’s policies, which are available here.
- PaLM is powered by Google. Use of this bot is subject to Google's policies, which are available here.
- Llama 2 is an open source model developed by Meta and hosted by Poe. Llama 2 is licensed under the LLAMA 2 Community License, Copyright © Meta Platforms, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
How do I create a bot?
- To create a bot with a prompt (aka prompt bot), you can go to https://poe.com/create_bot on a web browser or click the “Create a bot” button in the sidebar on the iOS app.
- To create an API bot (if you have an LLM or code that uses one), you can go to https://poe.com/create_bot?api=1 on a desktop computer.
Was the AI used for the bots trained on Quora answers?
- Not currently. If we do this in the future, we will allow Quora writers to opt out if they want. See this blog post for more detail.
Who can see that I’ve liked or viewed posts that other Poe users have shared?
- Similar to social media platforms, if you like a post from another user, other users will be able to see that you liked it. And similar to “stories” products on other social media platforms, if you are following the creator of a post, they will be able to see that you have viewed it. You can see who you are following by visiting your profile, accessible from the menu on the left.
How should I capitalize Poe if I am writing about it?
- You should capitalize it as “Poe”, like any proper noun. We don’t capitalize it as “POE” or “PoE”.
If you have any questions not covered above or would like to share any other feedback, please contact us at [email protected].