An Introduction to the Poe Beta Terms of Service
Welcome to Poe! Here are highlights of our Poe Beta Terms of Service:
- Poe is in beta. As a result, product features may have errors and may not work as anticipated. We plan to update and improve Poe continually. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know your feedback.
- Poe lets you talk to bots that answer your questions based on knowledge derived from a variety of sources. These bots are powered by several underlying technologies, including Large Language Models (“LLMs”) operated by third-party providers. An LLM is a machine learning system that processes and generates text.
- Content generated by bots on Poe may not be accurate and bots available on Poe cannot take action in the real world. As a result, please verify any advice you receive from bots. Please do not rely on bots on Poe during emergencies; they do not perform actions for you.
Thanks for using Poe! Please read the full Poe Beta Terms of Service below.
Poe Beta Terms of Service
Last Updated: December 19, 2022
Welcome to Poe!
These Poe Beta Terms of Service are an agreement (“Agreement”) entered between you and Quora, Inc. and its affiliates (collectively “Quora,” “we,” or “us”) in connection with your use of the Poe product (“Poe”). By using Poe, you consent to these Poe Beta Terms of Service.
Quora’s Platform Terms of Service also apply to your use of Poe. In the event of a conflict between the Quora Platform Terms of Service and the Poe Beta Terms of Service, the Poe Beta Terms of Service will apply.
IMPORTANT ARBITRATION NOTICE: IF YOU ARE IN THE UNITED STATES OR CANADA, YOU AGREE THAT DISPUTES BETWEEN YOU AND QUORA WILL BE RESOLVED BY BINDING, INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION AND YOU WAIVE YOUR RIGHT TO PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT OR CLASS-WIDE ARBITRATION. WE EXPLAIN SOME EXCEPTIONS AND HOW YOU CAN OPT OUT OF ARBITRATION IN SECTION 10 OF THE QUORA PLATFORM TERMS OF SERVICE.
- Using Poe; Incorporation by Reference; Conflict; Dispute Resolution.
- These Poe Beta Terms of Service apply to your use of Poe, including on websites or applications.
- Use of Poe by anyone under 13 years of age is prohibited. You represent that you are at least the age of majority in the jurisdiction where you live or, if you are not, your parent or legal guardian must consent to these Poe Beta Terms of Service and affirm that they accept this Agreement on your behalf and bear responsibility for your use. If you are accepting these Poe Beta Terms of Service on behalf of someone else or an entity, you confirm that you have the legal authority to bind that person or entity to this Agreement.
- For matters not addressed by these Poe Beta Terms of Service, your use of Poe will otherwise continue to be governed by the Quora Platform Terms of Service (“Quora Platform Terms”), which are both incorporated herein by reference. Poe is considered part of the “Quora Platform” for purposes of the Quora Platform Terms. Capitalized terms used but not defined in these Poe Beta Terms of Service have the meanings defined in the Quora Platform Terms. For the avoidance of doubt, Section 8 (Disclaimers and Limitation of Liability) of the Quora Platform Terms are explicitly incorporated by reference, except as amended by Section 9(a) of these Poe Beta Terms of Service below.
- In the event of conflict or ambiguity between these Poe Beta Terms of Service and the Quora Platform Terms, the Poe Beta Terms of Service will apply except with regard to Section 10 of the Quora Platform Terms regarding dispute resolution.
- Beta Product. You will have early access to Poe subject to these Poe Beta Terms of Service. You acknowledge and agree that:
- Bots accessed via Poe may not generate accurate information. You should independently verify responses or advice provided by any bots on Poe. Quora does not provide any warranties or guarantees as to the accuracy of any information provided via Poe;
- Bots accessed via Poe may produce content that is not suitable for minors.
- Bots accessed via Poe should not be relied upon during emergencies; they do not perform any actions for you in the real world and do not provide functionality to control other products, such as internet of things devices;
- Poe is a pre-release version that has not been authorized for public release by Quora;
- Poe or bots on Poe may not operate properly, be in final form, or be fully functional; your access to Poe or the bots is not guaranteed and Poe and the bots are provided on an AS IS basis;
- Poe and bots on Poe are subject to modification and alteration, and may contain errors, design flaws, or other issues;
- Use of Poe or bots on Poe may result in unexpected results, loss of data or communications, or other anticipated or unanticipated damage or loss to you;
- Quora is under no obligation to release a production version of Poe; and
- Quora has the unrestricted right to abandon development of Poe at any time without notice or liability to you.
- Your Participation & Feedback.
- Voluntary Participation. Your participation is entirely voluntary and you may choose not to use this beta product at any time. Participation may include, but is not limited to: using Poe and bots on Poe; reporting bugs; testing the features, functionality, and quality of Poe and bots on Poe; or answering survey questions or providing feedback (collectively, “Your Participation”). You agree that no compensation or benefits will be provided to you by Quora in exchange for Your Participation. Your Participation begins on the date you accept these Poe Beta Terms of Service and ends when the Agreement is terminated by you or us as provided in these Poe Beta Terms of Service.
- Feedback. We welcome your feedback and suggestions about how to improve Poe or bots on Poe. You agree your feedback is non-confidential and non-proprietary. By submitting feedback, you agree to grant us the right, at our discretion, to use, copy, disclose, create derivative works, display, publish, and otherwise exploit the feedback, in whole or part, freely and without any compensation to you.
- Where to Send Feedback. Please provide your feedback by emailing us at email@example.com.
- License to Use Poe. Quora grants you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, revocable license to use Poe and bots on Poe solely for the purpose of Your Participation and for no other purpose. You understand that you are under absolutely no obligation to enter into this Agreement, and that doing so will have no impact on your use of any publicly-available Quora products or services in a personal capacity. You agree that nothing contained in this Agreement shall be construed or have effect as constituting any relationship of employer and employee between you and Quora.
- Restricted Uses. You agree not to use Poe or bots on Poe to:
- Violate the rights of another party or any applicable laws;
- Violate any of Quora’s terms or policies or policies of third-party providers that power the bots on Poe;
- Reverse assemble, reverse compile, decompile, translate or otherwise attempt to discover the source code or underlying components of models, algorithms, and systems of Poe, the bots, or their underlying technologies;
- Abuse, harm, interfere with, reverse engineer, or disrupt Poe, the bots, or their underlying technologies, such as by accessing or using them in fraudulent or deceptive ways, introducing malware, or spamming, hacking, or bypassing any protective measures;
- Use Poe or the bots in an automated fashion, such as by exceeding any rate limits set forth by us from time to time;
- Use Poe or the bots to develop products, applications, services, foundation models or other large scale models that compete with Poe, the bots, and their underlying technologies;
- Use any method to extract data from Poe or the bots, including web scraping, web harvesting, or web data extraction methods, other than as permitted by these Poe Beta Terms of Service; or
- Represent that Bot-Generated Content (as defined below) is human-generated.
- Your Content
- Definition of Your Content. Poe may allow you to ask questions, create bookmarks, vote or like, post, or share bot conversations within Poe or outside of Poe. All material that you upload, publish, or display within Poe; and any results that you receive in response from bots accessible via Poe (“Bot-Generated Content”), will collectively be considered “Your Content.” Other users may ask questions and receive responses from bots on Poe that are similar to or the same as yours. The content that other users receive are not considered Your Content.
- Ownership. You retain ownership of Your Content, subject to the non-exclusive rights granted below.
- License and Permission to Use Your Content.
- By submitting, posting, or displaying Your Content on Poe, you grant Quora and its affiliated companies a nonexclusive, worldwide, royalty free, fully paid up, transferable, sublicensable (through multiple tiers), license to collect, analyze, use, copy, reproduce, process, adapt, modify, create derivative works from, publish, transmit, store, display and distribute, translate, and communicate Your Content in connection with the operation, improvement or use of Poe and Poe’s underlying technologies.
- You acknowledge and agree that Quora may preserve Your Content and may also disclose Your Content and related information if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such preservation or disclosure is reasonably necessary to: (I) comply with legal process, applicable laws or government requests; (II) enforce these Poe Beta Terms of Service; (III) respond to claims that any of Your Content violates the rights of third parties; (IV) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues; or (V) protect the rights, property, or personal safety of Quora, its users, or the public.
- Responsibility. You acknowledge and agree bots accessible via Poe answer your questions based on knowledge derived from a variety of sources, and that Quora does not create or generate any Bot-Generated Content. Poe is powered by several underlying technologies, including third-party providers that use Large Language Models (LLMs). A LLM is a machine learning system that processes and generates text. You agree that you are responsible for Your Content, including for ensuring that it does not violate any applicable law or these Poe Beta Terms of Service (including the Restricted Uses in Section 5 above).
- Termination. You may cease Your Participation and/or terminate these Poe Beta Terms of Service at any time for any reason or no reason by deleting your account in your settings. We may terminate your access to Poe, Your Participation and/or these Poe Beta Terms of Service at any time for any reason or no reason. Any Data collected prior to termination of Your Participation may continue to be used in accordance with these Poe Beta Terms of Service.
- Personal Information; Privacy Practices.
- DISCLAIMERS AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
- Section 8 of the Quora Platform Terms is incorporated herein by reference, except that Section 8(e) of the Quora Platform Terms is replaced with the following: WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, QUORA’S MAXIMUM AGGREGATE LIABILITY TO YOU FOR LOSSES OR DAMAGES THAT YOU SUFFER IN CONNECTION WITH THE QUORA PLATFORM OR THIS AGREEMENT IS LIMITED TO THE GREATER OF ONE HUNDRED U.S. DOLLARS ($100) OR ANY AMOUNT YOU PAID TO QUORA IN THE PRIOR TWELVE (12) MONTHS FOR THE SERVICES GIVING RISE TO THE CLAIM.
- Survival. The following provisions will survive expiration of termination of this Agreement, in addition to the provisions set forth in Section 11(e) of the Quora Platform Terms: Section 3(b) (Feedback), Section 6(b) (Ownership), Section 6(c) (License and Permission to Use Your Content), Section 6(d) (Responsibility), Section 7 (Termination), Section 9 (Disclaimers and Limitation of Liability, and Section 10 (General).
- Governing Law. You agree that any claim must be resolved in a competent court in Santa Clara County, California and that the substantive laws of the State of California in the United States of America (excluding conflict of laws rules) will govern this Agreement and any claim, without regard to conflict of law provision. This Agreement will be binding upon and will inure to the benefit of your and our heirs, successors, and/or assignees.